Forums Forum Title Suggestions

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
So - As the dark blue style is more or less done, at least any issues/needed tweaks still left are minor and haven't been noticed yet - next on my list is the user titles which appear underneath your username and avatar on thread posts!

Currently we have (more or less) the default set up that came with the forums - The only change made so far is adding Beastly to some of the titles, just when I was going through the settings seeing what was what! The current set up is that your title goes up based on the number of messages you have posted on threads and the current ladder is:

New Member - 0 Posts
Member - 25 Posts
Active Member - 75 Posts
Well-Known Member - 150 Posts
Beastly Member - 300 Posts
Beastly Regular - 500 Posts

This can be completely changed - none of this needs to be kept if we can come up with a full ladder of titles and decent settings for when they are achieved.
The options for how to advance in the ladder are either based on the number of trophy points you have (trophies are also able to be changed, but I may leave this for a later date, so unlikely to use this for the title ladder), the number of likes your messages have gained and the number of posts in general (which I think is the better option, and already set as the default). We are limited to only one ladder - so we can't set up three ladders for each possible setting unfortunately (though that may be a good thing, too many banners!).

Note that titles are purely cosmetic - they cannot be set to give you access to other things (such as private forum sections for certain titles and above) they are just for the title below your name. There is an option in the forum settings for purchasing benefits which can be things such as hidden forum sections, custom username colours, custom titles not in the ladder, a banner like my staff banner which is separate to the title and possibly other stuff - I haven't looked into it, I'm not big on pay-for cosmetics, but that is something for the future regardless (whether we do add possible things to purchase or not - though personally I would say it's unlikely that will surface).

So what I would like is suggestions on levels - ie when the title advances, so every 25, every 50 or at certain number of posts etc... - and suggested titles to add to the title ladder (we can have any number of titles - so no limit on that).

I believe I can also edit the titles into an actual banner, similar to my Staff Member banner over there somewhere <---, with a coloured background so I may add this also? If I do - suggestions? I don't want them to be too obnoxious on the screen, so no bright flourescent green banners, but they can also be somewhat shaped (for example I can round off the corners rather than it being a full rectangle like my current staff banner).
The title banner can only be set for specific user groups as far as I can tell - so it would be one banner type for all user titles for general registered users.

I will make a start on titles in a week or so - which gives plenty of time to get your suggestions heard! Please keep them clean also.... Sensible titles, nothing insane, dirty or offensive xD

Also - bit of a side note - on the subject of the options for setting up purchase-able titles/banners/different coloured usernames etc... I can also set these up as one off things, so there could be potential for competitions, and loyalty based banners/titles given out in the future. No immediate plans for this, but I believe it can be done, so that is an idea for the future also!
The downside to that may be that you would not be able to pick between ones you have - You are stuck on one in specific, at least as far as your own account settings are concerned. However I can keep a list of who has won/received which custom titles/banners/name colours etc... and change them on request via message to counter that.

Last edited:

Verum

Regular
Mar 7, 2016
That was a lot to read, I will certainly try think of titles more BeastNode related for this and update this post as I do, I wouldn't want the title to change every 50 posts as having that many titles would just get confusing and you wouldn't know which ones are more experienced members on the forum.

Reactions: Richard_BN

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Yeah - When they are finalised I might stick a resource/knowledgebase post up with a list of the available titles and when you get them so people know what there is!

Could always add one offs that people win etc... to the post too then, so people can see who has managed to bag what as well, like a wall of fame xD

Reactions: Verum

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
I will start setting these up on Tuesday I think - if you have any suggestions for titles make sure to get them in ASAP as once I have set the main member title ladder up it is unlikely to be changed again!

Currently thinking of a similar points ladder to now, based on the number of posts -
Title1 - 0 posts
Title2 - 25 Posts
Title3 - 50 Posts
Title4 - 75 Posts
Title5 - 100 Posts
Title6 - 150 Posts
Title7 - 200 Posts
Title8 - 250 Posts
Title9 - 500 Posts
Title10 - 750 Posts
(or similar)

10 titles should be plenty, I don't want too many and 750 posts isn't likely to be reached any time in the forseable future without spam posts, which I'd just delete anyway.... xD

Also - for the banner of the main member title - I was thinking of a simple rectangle with a faded blue background? If I can do different banners for different themes (not sure I can though) it could be faded red for the light theme?

Definitely liking the idea of running the odd competitions/quizzes or similar in the future also, most likely themed around either events in the Minecraft world (such as big releases, so we could have an MC themed competition for 1.10 etc...) or general real life holidays and events (As I'm from the UK if there are any big holidays/events from other countries coming up that I do not know of I may need a reminder a month or so in advance to decide if it could be used for a competition!) to unlock usernames of different colours, different coloured/shaped banners for the normal titles (which I think I can do...) and one off banners and titles for those events which would show alongside your normal member title (They may be able to stack so you can have a normal member title and then multiple comp. banners, not sure yet).

Verum

Regular
Mar 7, 2016
You could make the ranks based off your server plans, it's a hierarchy system people are familiar with, it's Minecraft themed and relates to BeastNode, so for example it'd go like this

Chicken - 0 posts
Sheep - 25 Posts
Wolf - 50 Posts
Spider - 75 Posts
Zombie - 100 Posts
Skeleton- 150 Posts
Blaze - 200 Posts
Creeper - 250 Posts
Slime - 500 Posts
Ghast - 750 Posts
Enderman - 1000 Posts
Wither could either be a crazy 1500 posts or a special rank assigned to the top 10-100 (depending on forum size) players with the most "Likes" which comes into effect once players reach X amount of likes or anything else you could think of for it.

The Banner sounds good to me by what you described. As for the competitions sounds good to me, also from the UK so can't help out with foreign ones :P

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Minecraft mobs is an idea, but being more BeastNode/general related would be better as not everyone on the forums are here for Minecraft as they may be here for the VPS/Web Hosting etc...

Minecraft mobs could also be a good one for Minecraft-themed competition rewards too!

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Okay as a test I have put the 'Member' title into a banner - That look okay? And just to confirm I can change this per-title! For now I have all titles using the banner you currently have, but I have checked and I can definitely add different ones for different titles.

Note - I'm currently testing this with the Dark/Blue theme, I can also set them differently on the Light/Red theme, so I can set the Member title to have a Red banner. Currently the titles on the Light/Red theme will not have changed as I haven't edited them over there yet!

Edit - Put a red banner on for the Light/Red theme!

Last edited:

Verum

Regular
Mar 7, 2016
Ah yes I forgot about the VPS side of BeastNode, well in that case I'm lost for ideas, haha.

The Member title looks fine, I also noticed you changed Forum Admin to black now, I quite liked it when it was red as you'd want it to stand out, especially say a thread has 100 replies, people often just want to scroll through looking for a staff members response. (depending on the thread of course)

I always have the Dark/Blue theme on, so much easier on my eyes and being a night owl it helps with them late nights.

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
I've set the dark/blue theme to be the default now, I think it's more or less issue free and the light/red one is a bit painful.... (may delete it in the future... but who knows!).

I set staff names to be bold and red - should be easy enough to find staff responses :) The Admin banner is only temporary though, I was just having a fiddle, seeing what I could do!

Jacksharkben

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
this is my idea
New Member - 0 posts
Member - 25 Posts
Member+ - 50 Posts
Elite - 75 Posts
Elite+ - 100 Posts
Veteran - 150 Posts
Veteran+ - 200 Posts
Title8 - 250 Posts
Title9 - 500 Posts
Title10 - 750 Posts

i don't think there is a title for this many ranks

Last edited:

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Gonna put the final titles up at the end of the week I think - Was going to get them up yesterday but having been ill and not moving much from my bed the last few days I haven't done much forum-wise xD - so any you wish to suggest will need to be done beforehand!
Got a list of my own but they are more to fill in the gaps than anything. Elite/Elite+/Member+ aren't bad ideas - though I think Elite would need to be higher up on the list :)

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Also, just to confirm - I can use different colours in the title names, so if we do go with having '+' titles, the + symbol can be a different colour to the title itself to make it stand out :)

Jacksharkben

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
Gonna put the final titles up at the end of the week I think - Was going to get them up yesterday but having been ill and not moving much from my bed the last few days I haven't done much forum-wise xD - so any you wish to suggest will need to be done beforehand!
Got a list of my own but they are more to fill in the gaps than anything. Elite/Elite+/Member+ aren't bad ideas - though I think Elite would need to be higher up on the list :)
What do you have so far for the list.

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
At the moment I will be going with:

New Member - 0
Member - 25
Member+ - 50
Regular - 100
Regular+ - 135
VIP - 200
VIP+ - 245
Veteran - 350
Elite - 500
Forum Beasty - 750

Reactions: Jacksharkben

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Currently got this set up:

(While the colours look quite different on Veteran and Elite's backgrounds, all titles from New Member to Elite use the same colour with increased brightness as you go in this setup, with the + titles having the same background as the normal)

Anything you think needs changing or does it look good as is? I set Beasty as being very different as it's the top rank, so put it more similar to the staff ranks, but kept it blue.

Last edited:

Verum

Regular
Mar 7, 2016
Perhaps add a thicker black banner around Elite rank too, 500 posts is going to take a while and it doesn't look anything special :P

Verum

Regular
Mar 7, 2016
Yeah and perhaps make the Elite bold, just a slight change to make it stand out a little more but not too much.