Map is boring - Is there a trick to generating interesting maps?

evyse

Feb 20, 2019
I've used people's seeds before, I've used map generators. But I've always done it my personal computer... not a map already on a server.

The map I have is just... kinda flat and boring. I guess I'd like more variation of the terrain features.
I love having both large rather flat areas AND then suddenly hills.

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
How the map generates depends entirely on what is installed on the server and what level-type and seed are set in the server.properties when the world is generated. Anything you do with singleplayer world generation you can do with server world generation, except for the customized setup but you can simply make that in singleplayer and then upload the world to the server.

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
For Vanilla 1.13.2 for example if you change the level-type in the server.properties to any of these options, save changes and then load a new world it'll change how the world generates:

If you set it to FLAT the world will be entirely flat but you can customize how it's generated below the ground: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Superflat

BUFFET is essentially the same as the old customized option but it does nothing by itself and needs a preset to be entered (or for a BUFFET singleplayer world to be uploaded, as it's much easier to set up a BUFFET world in singleplayer first).

AMPLIFIED should be avoided for the most part on 1.13.2 as 1.13+ already has a lot of performance issues, and AMPLIFIED worlds are extreme CPU hogs.

Adding a seed to the server.properties, saving changes and generating a new world will also customize the world generation somewhat.

evyse

Feb 20, 2019
For Vanilla 1.13.2 for example if you change the level-type in the server.properties to any of these options, save changes and then load a new world it'll change how the world generates:

If you set it to FLAT the world will be entirely flat but you can customize how it's generated below the ground: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Superflat

BUFFET is essentially the same as the old customized option but it does nothing by itself and needs a preset to be entered (or for a BUFFET singleplayer world to be uploaded, as it's much easier to set up a BUFFET world in singleplayer first).

AMPLIFIED should be avoided for the most part on 1.13.2 as 1.13+ already has a lot of performance issues, and AMPLIFIED worlds are extreme CPU hogs.

Adding a seed to the server.properties, saving changes and generating a new world will also customize the world generation somewhat.

OK I really appreciate that. I will try to import from PC via FTP given this advice!!