Forum New Dark Alternate Forum Theme

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Darkness.....Darkness is everywhere.....

As suggested on the thread regarding the website now being darker - we have added an alternate theme for the forum style that also uses the same dark colours as the website now does, plus the traditional BeastNode blues instead of the forums default reds!

The idea currently is that we will have 4 themes using the BeastNode forum style - One light theme using the red, and one with the blue, and then one dark theme using the red, and one with the blue - to let you add a little bit of customization to how you view the forums!

The newly added Dark/Blue theme will be the basis we use for the Dark/Red theme - the same as the current default Light/Red will be used as the basis for the Light/Blue theme. For now this means that the Dark/Blue theme is only a work in progress and is marked as [WIP] to make this clear - there are bound to be some parts that are hard to view that we have missed, or could do with a little tweaking.

If you use the new dark theme please let us know if you find any issues with the layout or the colours, or just have any suggestions for tweaks to either of the forum themes or the style in general, in either a response to this ticket or a private message to myself and we will see what we can do!

How to change to the new Dark/Blue theme:

- Hover over your forum username in the top right of the web page, and click on 'Preferences'.
- Select the 'BN-Dark/Blue [WIP]' option on the drop down styles list.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of this page.

Checklist for changes that still need to be made when possible (some parts may be staff view-able only but still need tweaking):
  1. 'Edit Thread' popup - darker background, lighter text, darker buttons (cancel/delete thread) [IMG]
  2. 'Insert Link' popup - darker background, lighter text, darker cancel button [IMG]
  3. Lighter 'Be the first of your friends to recommend this.' text at the bottom of threads (or removal of this text?) [IMG]
  4. Make the buttons/icons on the message form clearer [IMG]
  5. Lighten general text (especially the text that is currently blue) to make it stand out a bit more, and be a bit easier on the eyes
  6. Edit to the forum icons - as currently they still go red when there are unread threads, not blue [IMG]
    • Can't change without editing icon files (so may leave as it is)
  7. Tweaks to the profile/settings pop up menu - Darker blue for the top background (or darker text?), change the colour of the hover background from the blue to grey etc... to make the text easier to read [IMG]
  8. Lighten the background around posts a little to make it stand out a bit more from the page background.
  9. Make the little drop menu arrow lighter [IMG]
    • Can't change without editing icon files (so may leave as it is)
  10. Make the text in the top of popup menus (such as the edit thread popup) a bit darker [IMG]
  11. Change the colour of the latest post username on the main page [IMG]
  12. Change the colours of the page number buttons on forums/subforums with multiple pages [IMG]
  13. Lighten the 'Edit' text on the thread list [IMG]
  14. Make the 'Your Profile Page' text darker [IMG]
  15. Change the colours of the tags box on making a new thread (plus the drop down list of current tags that comes up whilst typing them out) [IMG]
  16. Change the colours of thread tags a bit, make them stand out a little more [IMG]

Last edited:

Verum

Regular
Mar 7, 2016
My eyes thank you, haha. Although it makes links harder to read unless I hover over them which turns the background white. Also the Facebook text in the "share this page" below is difficult to read compared to other text. It's a good start but I think it needs a little tweaking.

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Can you give examples (preferably with screenshots) of the links that are hard to read? Different links on different pages are handled with different settings xD

The Share This Page text has been lightened - is that better?

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Found some links that did the odd white background on hover thing, which I didn't actually add so not sure where that came from, is that any better?

Reactions: Verum

Verum

Regular
Mar 7, 2016
The links in your signature for a start, might just be me but I find that blue on grey background not as easy to read. The white is when I put my cursor over the link.

Yeah the share this page is fine, I assume the text for Facebook recommend (the "be the first of your" etc...) will change to a number once someone actually does it :P

Verum

Regular
Mar 7, 2016
oh you beat me to it, that's what I get for making a cuppa in middle of replying, haha. Yeah that's much better.

Reactions: Richard_BN

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
I haven't found a setting for the 'Be the first of your friends to recommend this.' text yet to make that a bit lighter, but it is on my list xD Not actually sure whether it changes... it might just be a general message (if it is I may remove it if I can!).

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Added a checklist to the original post for the things that have been found that need tweaking :)

I'll do some more editing/tweaking today, see if I can get it a bit closer to a final form!

Last edited:

Verum

Regular
Mar 7, 2016
Now the cancel button doesn't change at all when you hover over it, while that doesn't bother me personally I can see it being an issue for the masses. Now there's not enough of a change when you click bold etc... hard to tell if it's pressed, haha. :P

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Are the bold etc... buttons better now? I can't do a lot about the cancel button, none of the settings I can find seem to have any effect on the different states, even though the other buttons on the popup/overlay menus are easy enough to set up

Reactions: Verum

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
I think I have done all my brain can handle for one day - staring at the screen so intently is driving me mad xD

Changes done:
- The 'Edit Thread' popup has been corrected.
- The 'Insert Link' (and other text form popups such as the add image popup) have been corrected.
- General text on the forum has been lightened to make it easier to read.
- The buttons/icons on the text forms have been made clearer - Not sure about the Blue>Grey colours, might grey the bar out too...
- Corrected the colors on the profile/settings popup menu when you hover over your name at the very top ^. Can't seem to find a setting for the 'Your Profile Page' text but I will keep looking.
- The background around the posts is lighter now - makes it clearer where one post ends and another starts, it kind of blended before.
- Added the blue bar at the top of the New Posts box on the main page.
- Edited the thread prefixes to have dark text so it stands out a bit more, and also hid it from the breadcrumbs bar when you are editing a post with a prefix (because it cut the ends off for no apparent reason....xD)
- Darkened the text in the member card (messages/likes/points) to make it easier to see.
- Made the tabs on the profile page a solid colour, rather than a weird gradient [IMG].
A few other minor tweaks here and there just to make things a bit more noticeable, at least for things I've found the right sections of code for!

Found the setting for changing the alert bubble when you have notifications from red to blue but... ehh, the red stands out more and it is an alert, so I left it red! May just leave the unread forum icon as red too so it stands out better (mainly because to change that you have to go into the system files and edit a really odd icon file, which I have no access to do and would probably break anyway!).

Still can't find where to edit the 'Share This Page' section at the bottom of threads - I can remove it completely, but haven't found a way to edit just the text!

Plenty of other little bits to change but I will leave it till tomorrow/tuesday before I do more, or I will end up having a breakdown due to css overload xD

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
Few more little edits done:
- Lightened the 'Edit' text on the thread list [IMG]
- Edited the heading colours on the edit thread popup [IMG]
- Thread prefix list on edit thread or new thread titles edited to look a bit neater [IMG]
- Tweaked the colours of the buttons and hover colours for the page numbers on thread lists [IMG]
- Darkened the text colour on the profile/settings popup menu so it's a bit more readable [IMG]
- Bit of a shuffle of the New Posts section text colours [IMG]
- Tweaked the Tags box for new threads [IMG]
- Changes to the thread tags, and thread status bar [IMG] (lighter tag is when hovered over)
- Darkened the text in the Forums/Resources/Members drop menus [IMG]

Last edited:

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
The default will stay as the Light/Red theme until the dark theme is finished - you can change it to the Dark/Blue theme anytime