Resolved Sponge

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiHart

Dec 7, 2016
Tennessee
Can someone explain how Sponge installation works?My server is asking for a few specific plugins, so I'd like to learn about it before attempting to install it.Thanks in advance

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
There's a section at the bottom of the post here regarding SpongeForge installation/plugins - I've not used SpongeVanilla so if you mean this you'd probably be better asking over on their forums.

NikkiHart

Dec 7, 2016
Tennessee
I was looking for a more in depth explanation than the generic how to page, but thanks. I'll post over on their forum for how it works and the processes needed to actually understand it.

NikkiHart

Dec 7, 2016
Tennessee
Just anote since you're staff, the "documentation", and yes in quotes, is very very poorly written and doesn't explain enough to be anywhere near useful or worth the time to read. The Sponge sites description is miles ahead. o maybe getting someone that actually knows about it to write the page would be helpful and bring in more customers to rent servers.

Also, the Sponge documentation actually shows a much different process to install than the knowledgebase "article", so it isn't even completely correct with its vague description.

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
We do not write detailed guides for things that are already available on their own source documentation, such as what Sponge is or how it works, and are not directly anything to do with us, - as such we only provide guides on how to install SpongeForge/set it up on our servers.
If you want detailed guides for Sponge such as how it works or what is they will have their own documentation on this for you to read.

The installation process is correct in our guide - you simply set up the relevant Forge build, add the SpongeForge mod jar to the mods folder and any Sponge plugin files you wish to use to the mods folder and restart the server.
Their own guides for SpongeForge are no different, there are no other ways to set it up serverside. The only part of their installation guide that is relevant to the server installation is what we have in our own guide, as their steps on installing Forge itself are not correct for shared-hosted servers (it is installed as per the Forge installation guide or by using the options available on our 1-click install list), and you simply add the SpongeForge mod that is compatible with that Forge build to the mods folder as with any mod.

Last edited:

NikkiHart

Dec 7, 2016
Tennessee
I'm not even going to bother reading your whole message. Sorry, but the first bit I did read says more in an easier way to get than the knowledgebase instructions. THAT was why I said what I did. So no need to feel attacked or whatever. And too, I never asked for a detailed guide once. So don't read between the lines when someone asks for help with something. A generic "this goes here, this goes there" explanation is what I was asking for. I'm back off to the Sponge forum. Thanks for the attempt.

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
I was looking for a more in depth explanation than the generic how to page, but thanks. I'll post over on their forum for how it works and the processes needed to actually understand it.

You specifically did ask for a more in depth explanation than a how to page, which is all we will provide as it is all that is needed on our end, before being rude about the provided information in the following message. Our guide is exactly how to do things for our setup with as much detail as is needed if read in full - the correct Forge build needs to be installed which it links to a step by step guide for and the SpongeForge mod goes in the mods folder as it states.
The Sponge installation guide on their own site is mostly irrelevant, and has a considerable amount more information to have to skip through to get to the relevant parts. For details on the Sponge software itself such as how it works etc.. you should always be looking on their own documentation.

The information requested was provided in the first response to this thread, so I am closing it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.