Update broke server?

NikkiHart

Dec 7, 2016
Tennessee
The option for Continuum v1.3.1 was taken away and stopped my server from running. So I just got the backup from before the crash and put v1.4.1 on the server, and added the world folder to it. It's named the same but after starting successfully, it crashes when a player tries to log on. Am I missing something or can I go back to v1.3.1 even though the option was taken away?

Edit:

Looks like I'm forced to update and lose a world. Any advice on how to fix this would be nice. Really rather not have to go to another host to keep the world alive. Just want it back to normal after the forced breaking of the server.

Attachments

• Multicraft - View Server - Opera 29-Jul-18 5_07_32 PM.png
    Multicraft - View Server - Opera 29-Jul-18 5_07_32 PM.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
The option is removed from our list when it is outdated - we do not keep old versions of modpacks, once a new Recommended build is released and added to the list the older version is removed a few days later. This does not stop your server from working in any way - before you changed it to 1.4.1 it was still running 1.3.1 fine, it was just not showing as 'Online' on the control panel which has no effect on the server loading.
The console will have shown the server loading up as normal and you would have been able to log in as normal - and could set it to show as Online correctly on the panel by using the Custom Server JAR option on the jar list and renaming the server jar in the files to 'custom_server.jar'.

If your world is causing crashes then going to another host would not make any difference - the host does not cause issues with worlds this is caused by the server and what is running on it specifically, nor can one host fix what another cannot. Whether it is fixable is entirely down to Minecraft and what is installed.
When updating the version of a modpack there is always a risk of world breaking changes being present in the updated mods - as there is with any mod update, even if only one mod in the entire pack is updated. There is always a risk of world issues happening at any time regardless - even on a Vanilla server - which is one of the main reasons regular world backups should be made for so you have a restore point when it happens.

If you have a backup of the world from before the crashes started then deleting the current world and restoring the backup will resolve the issue. Otherwise you would need to

The only other way to fix world issues like this on a modded server (as repair tools such as RegionFixer do not work on modded worlds) is to isolate where the hunk errors are and either delete the region files that contain those chunks (which reset all chunks saved to that region file), or to download the world and use MCEdit to delete those chunks specifically. However - it is very rare for a crash due to chunk errors to actually state where in the world the issue is.
This crash report does not state the specific location - however as it states there was only one player online at the time then the problem chunk was within so many chunks from where they were, depending on what the view-distance setting in the server.properties is set to - if it's the default of 10 then the problem chunk/s are within 10 chunks of where this player was at the time:

Player Count: 1 / 25; [EntityPlayerMP['_drakaina_'/403, l='Summerland', x=258.52, y=35.00, z=750.63]]

The only other suggestion, if you have a world backup from before you updated to 1.4.1 and the backup also breaks when loaded on 1.4.1 - besides loading a new world - would be to manually reinstall 1.3.1 and continue using that with the backup.
- https://www.beastnode.com/portal/kn...o-Install-A-Custom-or-Pre-Packed-Modpack.html

NikkiHart

Dec 7, 2016
Tennessee
The last part was what I was hoping to hear was possible. The world only crashes on the server because the lack of the option for the version. my home server, but I have total access so setting it up there was obviously much easier. But to keep this short as I can. I will look into the the latter part later on and post results good or bad.

The only reason that I'm not willing to update as the world has too many hours into just give up on it for an update. Anyway, I'm heading to the lake and will post results when I'm back and trying.

Richard_BN

BeastNode Staff
Dec 18, 2015
The Realm of Obscurity.
The crash report is the same it is still being caused by the world - the issue isn't the mod pack installation, the files should be fine.

If you have manually installed 1.3.1 please make sure you have deleted your current world and restored a back of the world from before you updated to 1.4.1.
If the current world folder is not deleted first then restoring the back up will not overwrite it and it will still have the issues that were caused when updating.